Saturday, November 04, 2006

Book Review: Children Are From Heaven

Yesterday was busy. Did a lot of housecleaning and had some much-needed retail therapy. I went to Books-A-Million and once again, came away happy. I'm reading a book called Children Are From Heaven, by the author John Gray. I encourage any parent to read this, it's fantastic. It makes a lot of issues quite clear. I had my doubts in the beginning of the book; the author can be a bit long-winded and repetitive. However, I realised early on that it serves a purpose by making the five simple concepts proposed in this book...second-nature. He explains why spanking and other forms of punishment just don't work in today's society and then tells you what does. I've never been a fan of spanking. Growing up, I was maybe spanked two or three times. So, I don't do it. But, in dealing with my own kids as a single mom, I sometimes don't know what else to do but be stern in order to get them to do the right things. This guy in this book tells me that it's not necessary to do it that way at all. Totally revamping my outlook on parenting. I've always felt like I was a good mom, but that I could be better, don't we all? I was blessed with two sweet, eager-to-please angels. But, as any child can, they have their moments. Those times can be especially frustrating. And lately, it's seemed that they were growing more and more rebellious of following directions and arguing with each other more and more often. But, I tell you, I implemented the very first thing that was suggested in the book, any by golly, the kids did exactly what I asked, without attitude, with smiles on their faces, and happy to be doing as they should. I'm not yet halfway through the book, but I can't wait to learn more. The author seems to be a good Christian father with exciting new philosophies about what works, what doesn't, and why. I highly recommend it. The more I read, the more I'll write about it. I really feel compelled to share this with everybody, the book just makes sense.



What books would you recommend?

2 comments:

Amy said...

We took a class on parenting called "Growing Kids God's Way" when LM was but an itty and I loved it and still use it today. I did spank, but with very specific methods and with very specific limits up until the time LM was about 4 or 5. Once we were able to use appropriate consequences, we started to do that. I think it depends on the child for what works and what doesn't, but I think a LOVING parent who is using discipline to teach their children what is childish and what is foolish is the key. I'll have to check out this book!

Katrina said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. Parenting takes so much care and concentration, I gladly welcome all sources of wisdom for ideas!

Like Amy, we do spank, but it's rare and purposeful, and now that our oldest is seven, it's not really necessary any more, as her more sophisticated reasoning skills make other forms of discipline more effective.

I'll definitely have to find this book! :)